Thursday, October 27, 2011

Wedding photography.

Below are a couple photos I have taken of couples. That's what I like to do in my spare time. Photography.


After initially sitting with the couple and figuring out how they interact together, with me, in front a lens and what they generally want from their photographs, I get a good feel for how and who they are.

When photographing weddings, everybody knows how beautiful the whole day can be and also how stressful it can get. Regardless though, the couple is madly in love and whole day is pretty magical.

Looking at Katherine's marriage to Petruchio, I wonder how a modern photographer might photograph them. At this point, Kate has been silenced by even the prospect of being married and not turning out to be an old maid, however she is not completely 'tamed'. Petruchio not only arrives late to his wedding but he is also wearing fool's clothes. Here are a couple dramatic representations on stage and in art of "the happy couple"


From a photographers point of view, I would shoot them probably in nature to soften the mood a little bit. With only buildings and sharp edges in the background, it might only illuminate the rigidity between them. I would also try and mask any awkward positions or lack of creativity from them (because they are not exactly swept up in love at this point), by using soft lighting and also tactfully positioning the camera so that we don't see any space between them or awkward poses.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, that's some interesting stuff. With the engagement photos for me and my wife, her dad took them, and we just went somewhere that Erin and her dad knew was pretty. It would be interesting to hear your stories about these different couples. Did you ever have a couple who didn't seem to like each other? Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I photographed a couple once that were just not happy that day I guess. It was winter and everyone was just sort of cold and miserable. Plus, they had never actually had any photos together somehow and they were just super awkward. We ended up having to do a second shoot to compensate for the lack of love in the first photos.

    In that first instance, the only thing I could do was blame the lack of great photos on myself. I just kept apologizing and agreed to do a second shoot for free... even though they agreed it wasn't my fault at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes. "Lack of love"? How awkward. Did you go to that couple's wedding or wedding reception? What were they like there?

    I have a funny story about awkward couples. I had a companion on my mission who was almost robotic, in terms of obedience and also his personality seemed sort of bland, and when he did express himself somehow it was weird and awkward. Anyway, back here in the United States, we went to his wedding reception. And when it was time to throw the garter, she was the one who was awkward. He didn't pull the garter off her leg - she had the garter in a plastic bag to hand off to him. I wonder what their wedding night was like :P

    But, before too long they had a baby, so I guess they got over it somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't go to their wedding but I know they were/are super in love. Just a bad day I guess.

    In the Taming of the Shrew though, the question of love in the relationship between Katherine and Petrucio is not even something to be raised. I mean, I don't believe they are in love yet. Soo, maybe it goes along the lines of what we're talking about in class today- making something look more spectacular than it really is. In other words, their wedding photography might have to be more spectacle (maybe lots of editing or other things in the shot) rather than a more plain and raw look.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also- that story is terribly awkward!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like reading through your guys' comments. Also thanks for letting us know what you do on your spare time, it is good to get to know each other a little bit more. I think it is interesting how much power directors have over a play. Because I don't know much about the Taming of the Shrew, it is hard to draw a line where a director's power might lie, but I know in Henry V, Love's Labours Lost, Hamlet and Winter's Tale, the director has sway over characters being in true love, or true hate for that matter. Is there any way to portay these two in love, Katherine and Petruchio?

    ReplyDelete