Sunday, October 16, 2011

The modern woman as the shrew.

I'm looking at how Katherine -the shrew, really may not be such a shrew in our modern days.
Her most prominent characteristics are:
-witty
-quick tempered
-sharp tongue
-intelligent
-independent
-angry (unhappy?)

That list of qualities I see in Katherine, definitely portray the sort of modern day feminist that we see today who is independent, working and successful. Sort of the feminist view on females these days, where a woman can be smart and successful without the aid of man. Katherine seems to have some sort of anger on her shoulders that stops her from being happy and a more functional human being as everyone see's it however. 

Petruchio: Come, come, you wasp, i’faith you are too angry.
Katherine: If I be waspish, best beware my sting.
Petruchio: My remedy is then to pluck it out.
Katherine: Ay, if the fool could find where it lies.
Petruchio: Who knows not where a wasp does wear his sting? In his tail.
Katherine: In his tongue.
Petruchio: Whose tongue?
Katherine: Yours, if you talk of tales, and so farewell.
Petruchio: What, with my tongue in your tail?

Even just in this excerpt from act 2, you can see her biting tongue and that she does not back down to men. When this was written, women were particularly susceptible to a man and would have been much more submissive as a social norm. Nowadays, I see women like this everywhere. I would even venture to say that I am like this myself. Not exactly snarky or rude all the time, but definitely not ashamed to say what I think in the presence of males.

Perhaps, to some extent, today's everyday girl, is comparable to Shakespeare's Shrew.

2 comments:

  1. I can definitely relate to Katherine. Just today, I ran into an old friend/enemy at a mission farewell, who I have an interesting relationship with. .. basically, he makes oafish and inappropriate comments, and I hurl witty insults back, remind him in every way how much I detest him, and make sure he stays a good distance away from me. Our friends (Don't ask me why my friends still associate with him, I don't understand it) seem to think it's pretty funny when we butt heads, because in the battle of wits I pretty much slaughter him. It's kind of half joking. . .half "No really. I seriously don't like you." And for some reason, in these situations my wits seem to sharpen, because my friends will actually laugh at the jokes I make. ;) Why he has become so low a life form in my eyes is a long story. . . but he totally deserves it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Christa. I'd like to watch you go at it against this guy.

    ReplyDelete