Sunday, October 30, 2011

steampunk steampunk steampunk!

Did you guys love it? The whole art set for The Tempest was definitely inspired by steampunk art.
Steampunk in relation to art, incorporates a lot of brass, iron, leather and wood. It often has a Victorian-gothic sort of feel and incorporates elements of fantasy, science fiction and contraptions that produce steam.

In the production we saw of The Tempest, I saw a lot of steampunk: the floating lanterns, the bike attached by strings, ariel's costuming and also Prospero's cape. These small little elements gave a cool feeling of being some sort of fantastical place. Notice all of the things I mentioned are of the magical world rather than things associated with Gonzalo, Alonso and the other shipwrecked men.


I mean come on, look at all that brass, leather and gadget goodness. 

4 comments:

  1. I LOOOOOOOOOOOOVED IT :D Steampunk is one of my obsessions and I was SO happy when I saw Ariel's costume :) I also saw hints of it in the beginning with the whole bicycle thing, but it was hard to tell what was going on for the first few scenes because my car was late and I was just watching it from the monitor. There were a lot of things about this production I had my reservations about. . . but the Steampunk elements made me want to go see it again :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea what this was! Thank you for explaining that! I knew there was a style like that, but I didn't know what it was called. Why do you think they decided to include that in this production? Are there any meanings or themes that tie in with Steampunk that could add a deeper understanding to the play?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminds me of an article I wrote when I was an intern in New York City this summer. It was about a puppet theater in Brooklyn that sort of had this theme too.

    Here's the article: http://www.brooklynpaper.com/stories/34/19/dtg_bb_clockworks_2011_5_13_bk.html

    And here's the website for the theater: http://www.cosmicbicycle.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way cool JJ. Read the article and it's pretty great. The website for the company is awwesome. Love the art work on it. There's even a flying bicycle like the one in the play. Nice!

    ReplyDelete