Wednesday, October 26, 2011

transformations



I can't help but look at this text (as I always do) in some sort of feminist way. I'm sorry!

But because this is so evidently a comedy, I can't help but think that Shakespeare didn't really think that women should be so submissive to their husbands and the inequality so prevalent in a marriage.

In the banquet scene Lucentio and Hortensio banter on who has the most obedient wife. When we see that Katherine obeys her command promptly and then proceeds to tell everyone in the room more about a wife's submission to her husband, it is a stark contrast from the fiery outspoken Kate we read of at the start.

I think this is more of a commentary of what men would have hoped the relationship to be more reminiscent of rather than identifying actual truths that Shakespeare believed. Being a comedy, this seems to be more of a farcical way of showing how men want to be treated in a marriage and for women to engulf the sweet natured, soft spoken, obedient and submissive character we often see in entertainment. (I should point out that I am talking about a submissiveness that overshadows all self thought and intellectuality or choices)

I am starting to believe that the literal taming of the shrew (Katherine), is not entirely a good thing. That thought to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment