Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Southwark Playhouse and TTOTS.

Have been trying to get in contact with the girl who played Katherine in a modern-day revival of The Taming of The Shrew in London.

Not successful yet, but the adaptation looks really interesting. I've been playing a lot with the idea the Katherine holds a lot of qualities that are more accepted in today's average female. The play see's her bold nature, outspoken mouth and fiery temper as outrageous and unwantable qualities in a wife. However, I am guessing that in this modern adaptation and from the picture of it below, I think we are seeing more and more that Katherine may be more like a lot of women in today's busy, demanding and independent-seeking world.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, no worries, I'm still waiting to hear back from some people too. It is interesting to me when plays adapt to the modern world, such as the adaptation of Winter's Tale we saw. I don't like it because it is not what I envisioned, but maybe people are just bored of doing the same setting and time period and are trying something new. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gotta agree with you about A Winter's Tale. While many stage productions may completely open up my mind to the play and make it even more magical than I could have thought of, sometimes it really does not justice to what our minds can conjure up ourselves.

    I think adapting Shakespeare to different time periods is a great idea. It shows how versatile his writing is and how rooted it is in human emotions and experiences that we can connect with no matter what the circumstance or time period.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck getting @ElexiWalker to respond back to you! And now that I know you're on Twitter, I'm going to follow you right away.

    ReplyDelete