Thursday, September 8, 2011

So far, Shakespeare and I have a good relationship. I haven't torn my eyes out over analyzing his plays and haven't been bored to death. Once when I wanted to seem particularly cool and read Shakespeare for leisure, I took out our family's ancient old crusty book of Shakespeare that had maybe 20 of his plays inside. Wonderfully heavy, it definitely gave me an air of superiority at the dinner table with this massive book just chillin next to me.
If I was lucky I might have got through Romeo and Juliet in the hopes of finding a teenage boy just like Romeo but I don't recall that ever happening. [Both finishing the play or finding a suicidal lover]

I can recall quite a few Shakespeare films that I've seen but interestingly my favorite is probably Baz Luhrman's Romeo and Juliet. I am pretty biased considering Baz is from my home country and so I obviously pledge allegiance to Australian filmmakers, but, I was really impressed with how the language was used in a modern setting and the world that they created. I thought it was executed beautifully.

Basically, I already have quite a love for Shakespeare but just need to be much better acquainted with his legendary language and bring our relationship to a new level.

1 comment:

  1. You know, I would have guessed you were from Australia...your accent reminded me of a good friend from high school who was born in Australia. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete